Discover the street food and snacks of Taormina on a daytime walking tour around the city.
Sicily has one of the most unique traditional cuisines in Italy, deeply rooted in the island’s history and culture. Discover the culinary side of Taormina with this food tour through the old town with a local guide. Stop to taste six different delicacies, including arancini, granita, and Sicilian drinks, as you stroll along the picturesque lanes.
- Discover Taormina’s traditional cuisine with a local foodie guide
- Taste six different Sicilian delicacies at eateries across the old town
- Sample regional drink “Chinotto” along with hot and cold dishes
- A small-group experience for more individual attention
We will begin our “Walking Food Experience” from Porta Messina through the narrow streets of the charming Taormina to “hop” from one taste sensation to the next on a leisurely walk with our local food person.
Sicilian street food is different from province to province, and here in the province of Messina you will have the opportunity to taste some specialties that you will not find in any other place. We will start with the first Sicilian speciality such as the “Focaccia” o “Cartucciata” or “Scacciata”: What is this? It is a kind of pizza thicker than the Neapolitan one; it is seasoned with Sicilian cheese, tomatoes and a nice vegetable, the curly endive, with a slightly sour taste. Are you ready for the second Sicilian speciality? the “Arancino”. You can find it everywhere in Sicily, but in the eastern coast the shape is different: it is not a perfect “ball” but it has a peak as ETNA and therefore it is also easier to bite… The taste is really an experience not to miss: the “arancino” is a ball of fried rice, filled with different ingredients; the basic filling can be ragout or mozzarella cheese + ham, but it is not difficult to find the version with mushrooms, spinaches and so on. After eating you’ll be surelly thirsty and we’ll let you trying a Chinotto , a soft drink flavoured with sour oranges. We will then continue our experience eating a nice dessert in a bakery to taste a typical Sicilian cake as Cannolo or another type of sicilian cake. Our food experience must end – of course – with a refreshing sweet and in the province of Messina what it is better than a Granita? Nothing else… especially in the warm days, cause it is a crushed-ice drink. The flavours are countless: the traditional ones are coffee, lemon or almond taste.
We can’t end our tour withour drinking a good Espresso!
Our tour ends at Porta Messina.
Please let us know if you have any food allergies or restrictions, when you book!
- Tour escort/host
- Tasting of 5 Sicilian specialities and 1 Espresso cofee
- Gratuities (optional),
- Transfer from your hotel to Porta Messina and return.
- Places visited and food provided during your tour are subject to change;
- Please let us know if you have any food allergies or restrictions, when you book;
- Meeting Point is at Porta Messina, one of the doors of Taormina city center (a transfer from and to te hotel can be provided at extra cost).
- Children from 0 to 2,9 years are free of charge
- Children from 3 to 11,9 have 50% discount
No penalities will be applied for cancellations received within 15:00 pm of the they before the excursion. For late cancellations, a penality of 50% of the booked tour will be applied.