A TRIP TO AN UNKNOWN SICILY, UNKNOWN TO THE MAJORITY OF TOURISTS, AWAY FROM THE USUAL TOURIST SPOT. A TRUE SICILY TO DISCOVER AND ENJOY!
- Private half day trip from Taormina to Francavilla di Sicilia and Alcantare Gorges;
- Taste Sicilian wine and tasty local food;
- Discover the delights of Francavilla di Sicilia historical center, and pose for photos next to the stunning capuchin Monastery;
- Explore the natural beauty of the Alcantara Gorge;
- Marvel at the geologic formations of lava turned to stone;
- Splash around in the cold water of the river that runs through the gorge;
- Enjoy visiting a part of Sicily’s very special heritage many tourists miss;
- Notice the lava formations that long ago turned to stone in the gorge Explore the gorge and river on foot;
- Enjoy getting into the cold river on a hot Sicilian day.
Start your day trip by boarding your air-conditioned vehicle at your hotel and then relax on the 1-hour journey to the Alcantara Gorges (Gole dell’Alcantara), a wonderful natural canyon, where you can admire majesty of the river that flows through the lava stone
The game of light and shade on the steep walls of the gorge creates a world of illusion: in the crevices of the rocks you can guess the outline of the disclosed fan or even consider a Gothic cathedral! The water in the river is always cool, it attracts hundreds wishing to take a refreshing dip on hot summer days.
To get down into the gorge you can either take the stairs or there is an elevator (fee € 13 not included) that will whisk you down the 50 meters to the river. The small beach area is great for getting your feet wet, sunbathing, or if you desire to jump in there are areas where the water is a little deeper so you can dive in.
Then we drive to Francavilla di Sicilia, a stunning town in the Alcantara valley, where a violent battle occurred between the Spaniards and Austrians in the 16th Century. Here we will admire the Capucin Monastery (from outside), founded in the 16th Century.
Ous next stop is Linguaglossa, to have a stop in a farm and visit a plantation of hazelnuts, tasting as well some typical Sicilian products, such as pistachios, hazelnuts, wines, salamis, honey and many other local specialities.
Then head to Taomina area. Your tour then finisches back at the start point.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off,
- Transport by car or minivan;
- English speaking driver
- Possibility to book a tour escort or a local guide (extra cost)
- Gratuities (optional);
- Food and drinks;
- Elevator at Alcantara Gorges (approx 13 eur).
No penalities will be applied for cancellations received within 15:00 pm of the they before the excursion. For late cancellations, a penality of 50% of the booked tour will be applied.