Experience the best of Mount Etna and Catania.
- Private full day trip to Mount Etna and Catania from Palermo or Cefalù
- Travel to Etna’s base station at Rifugio Sapienza
- Pose for photos next to the stunning Silvestri craters
- Enjoy three hours at leisure to trek around the foothills of Mount Etna
- See the famous Monti Silvestri Craters near Rifugio Sapienza
- Stroll Around Catania city center to discover the surprises created with the full intention of the baroque architects.
- Discover the delights of Catania UNESCO-listed historical center,
- Pose for photos next to the comical-looking Fountain of the Elephant in Piazza Duomo
- Admire the amazing and picturesque fish market.
Start your day trip by boarding your air-conditioned vehicle at your hotel and then relax on the 2,5-hours journey inland to Mount Etna, the island’s brooding – and spectacular – nemesis. The Mt. Etna is the higest peak of Sicily and the most active volcano in Europe. The territory surrounding the vulcan constitutes the “Park of Etna”, one of the largest protected areas in Italy: You will be astonished about the great variety of vegetation and landscapes that we will meet along the way before arriving at the “ Silvesti Craters” (about 1.900 mt).
Hop out of your vehicle at the base station Rifugio Sapienza, and then enjoy roughly three hours at leisure to trek independently around the foothills of Mount Etna. The area is covered with hiking trails that zigzag in all directions, and your host will happily point you in the right direction for the Monti Silvestri Craters – two small, yet impressive, craters near the base station.
Optional activity: CABLEWAY TO 2.500 METERS € 30
On request and at extra cost, there is the possibility to get to a height of 8,202 feet (2,500 meters) by cableway in just 15 minutes. Once you reach this altitude, you can spend all the time you want admiring the wonderful views and panorama along the coast! At the top of the mountain you will find a refreshment point and a souvenir shop. At the end of your walk, return to the base station via cable car to meet the rest of your group.
Optional activity: ETNA SUMMIT € 67
On request and at extra cost, instead of spending three hours at leisure to trek independently around the foothills of Mount Etna, there is the possibility to get Mount Etna’s summit with cableway, jeep and alpine guide. Ride by cable car to a height of 8,202 feet (2,500 meters), and then travel the remaining distance by 4×4 jeep, stopping at a dizzying 9,843 feet (3,000 meters). Follow your alpine guide (*) carefully around the craters at Mount Etna’s summit, peering intohornitos (small openings that release lava), and learning about volcanic activity in Sicily.
Your ascent begins to discover the crater of the 2001 eruption, surrounded by an almost lunar landscape. This was one of the strongest eruptions of the third millennium with activity felt as far as the island of Stromboli!
You will continue on to the Belvedere del Valle del Bove, the most beautiful panoramic point on Mt. Etna at about 2750 meters. You will be amazed by the beauty of this large volcanic depression dating back 64,000 years! Here you will stop to admire the landscape, take some photos or simply enjoy the breathtaking views from which you can see Taormina, Calabria and even Syracuse. From there you also have a privileged view of the Summit Craters, where you can see the endless column of gas and water vapor.
You will then visit a crater depression called Cisternazza and finally return to an altitude of 2500 meters to take the cable car and return to the Sapienza refuge with your guide.
At the end of your walk, return to the base station via jeep and cable car to meet your driver. Hop on your vehicle and return to Catania.
tart your day trip by boarding your vehicle at your hotel and then relax on the 1-hour journey to Catania. From Piazza Alcalá you will start a walking tour through the streets into Catania’s UNESCO-listed centro storico (historical center). Walk along to Piazza Duomo in the very heart of the city and marvel at its Baroque palazzi exploring the grandiose monuments that are scattered around. Pose for photos in front of the Fountain of the Elephant, carved in Catania’s trademark black volcanic stone, and see the imposing City Hall. Work your way along Via Etnea, the bustling main street named after the town’s nemesis – the brooding Mount Etna – and visit Piazza Stesicoro to see the remains of the wealthy Roman town that Catania once was. Admire the ruins of the Roman amphitheater – a site that once held crowds of 16,000 – and see the monument to Vincenzo Bellini – the famous opera composer from Catania. Continue down Via Etnea and cross into Villa Bellini, the public park. Start to work your way back to the start point, passing along Via Crociferi, a film location for many Italian films. Visit of the the open-air fish market, famous for its particular colors and atmpsphere.
Free time do to discover more about the city, stroll among the noble palaces and city churches rebuilt after the earthquake of 1693, see the liveliness of the popular markets, go shopping, enjoy the many culinary delights that Catania offers.
Re-board your vehicle and head back to your hotel, where you arrive after 2,5-hours journey
(*) Alpine guides speak Italian and English
- Hotel pickup and drop-off,
- Transport by car or minivan;
- English speaking driver
- Possibility to book a tour escort or a local guide (extra cost)
- Gratuities (optional),
- Food and drinks,
- Ride by cable way to 2.500 meters (€ 30)
- Mount Etna’s summit with cableway, jeep and alpine guide to 2.920 meters (€ 67)
- Equipment (it is possible to rent it at the Rifugio Sapienza).
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair,
- Warm clothes and comfortable shoes are recommended;
- It is strongly advised to wear comfortable clothes, wind stopper and sporting shoes (tennis or trekking shoes) for all guests who want to reach the altidude of 2.5000 or 2.920 meters. It is possible to rent trekking shoes and wind stopper jackets at an altitude of 2.500 meters;
- The high-altitude ascents are not indicated for heart passengers, asthmatics and pregnant women;
- Please note that for your safety, all excursions to Etna do not reach the edge of the main craters and customers are always kept on a safety zone;
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems;
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers;
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
No penalities will be applied for cancellations received within 15:00 pm of the they before the excursion. For late cancellations, a penality of 50% of the booked tour will be applied.