Experience the best of Mount Etna and Taormina.
- Private full day trip to Mount Etna and Taormina from Palermo or Cefalù
- Travel to Etna’s base station at Rifugio Sapienza
- Pose for photos next to the stunning Silvestri craters
- Enjoy three hours at leisure to trek around the foothills of Mount Etna
- See the famous Monti Silvestri Craters near Rifugio Sapienza
- Browse shops along Taormina’s charming main street
- Take in the views from the Greek Theater overlooking Taormina
- Admire a panoramic view over Taormina
Start your day trip by boarding your vehicle at your hotel and then relax on the 2,5-hours journey inland to Mount Etna, the island’s brooding – and spectacular – nemesis. The Mt. Etna is the higest peak of Sicily and the most active volcano in Europe. The territory surrounding the vulcan constitutes the “Park of Etna”, one of the largest protected areas in Italy: You will be astonished about the great variety of vegetation and landscapes that we will meet along the way before arriving at the “ Silvesti Craters” (about 1.900 mt).
Hop out of your vehicle at the base station Rifugio Sapienza, and then enjoy roughly three hours at leisure to trek independently around the foothills of Mount Etna. The area is covered with hiking trails that zigzag in all directions, and your host will happily point you in the right direction for the Monti Silvestri Craters – two small, yet impressive, craters near the base station.
On request and at extra cost, there is the possibility to get to a height of 8,202 feet (2,500 meters) by cableway in just 15 minutes. Once you reach this altitude, you can spend all the time you want admiring the wonderful views and panorama along the coast! At the top of the mountain you will find a refreshment point and a souvenir shop. At the end of your walk, return to the base station via cable car to meet the rest of your group.
At the end of your walk, return to the base station by cable car to meet your driver.
Price per person: € 30,00
On request and at extra cost, instead of spending three hours at leisure to trek independently around the foothills of Mount Etna, there is the possibility to get Mount Etna’s summit with cableway, jeep and alpine guide. Ride by cable car to a height of 8,202 feet (2,500 meters), and then travel the remaining distance by 4×4 jeep, stopping at a dizzying 9,843 feet (3,000 meters). Follow your alpine guide (*) carefully around the craters at Mount Etna’s summit, peering intohornitos (small openings that release lava), and learning about volcanic activity in Sicily.
Your ascent begins to discover the crater of the 2001 eruption, surrounded by an almost lunar landscape. This was one of the strongest eruptions of the third millennium with activity felt as far as the island of Stromboli!
You will continue on to the Belvedere del Valle del Bove, the most beautiful panoramic point on Mt. Etna at about 2750 meters. You will be amazed by the beauty of this large volcanic depression dating back 64,000 years! Here you will stop to admire the landscape, take some photos or simply enjoy the breathtaking views from which you can see Taormina, Calabria and even Syracuse. From there you also have a privileged view of the Summit Craters, where you can see the endless column of gas and water vapor.
You will then visit a crater depression called Cisternazza and finally return to an altitude of 2500 meters to take the cable car and return to the Sapienza refuge with your guide.
Price per person: € 67,00
At the end of your walk, return to the base station to meet the your driver. Hop on your vehicle and stop for tasting local honey and Sicilian specialities.
Set out on the one hour drive to Taormina. Perched on the side of a hill overlooking the sea, this town has a delightful character. Upon arrival, your walking tour will begin with a brief exterior visit to the famous 15th-century Palazzo Corvaia. This building, indicative of the architectural style of the period, is adorned with classic double windows. Your guide will take you to scenic lookouts of Mount Etna and the Bay of Naxos, point out the municipal buildings and the maze of staircase “streets” that intertwine in this predominantly pedestrian only hillside town.
Discover the impressive Greek Theater, known for its stunning location. This Roman-style theater was reconstructed in the 2nd century AD. It has marvelous acoustics which allow performances of classical plays to still be held in the theater. To reach the theater requires climbing several uneven, steep stone steps. To access the upper part of the theater also involves climbing uneven steps. For those willing to do it, you will be rewarded with impressive views. Guests wishing to visit the theater are responsible for their own admission which is approximately 10 EUR.
You will then have free time to grab a coffee or hot chocolate or explore the many shops that line Corso Umberto, Taormina’s main street. As well as being a resort town with boutiques of European fashion, you will also see many shops that offer the local Sicilian pottery
After free time, you will meet your driver at the designated location and walk back to your vehicle.
(*) Alpine guides speak Italian and English
- Hotel pickup and drop-off,
- Transport by car or minivan;
- English speaking driver
- Possibility to book a tour escort or a local guide (extra cost)
- Gratuities (optional);
- Food and drinks;
- Ride by cable way to 2.500 meters (€ 30);
- Mount Etna’s summit with cableway, jeep and alpine guide to 2.920 meters (€ 67);
- Equipment for trekking or hiking (it is possible to rent it at the Rifugio Sapienza);
- Entrance fee to the Roman Theatre in Taormina (approx. 10 eur)
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair,
- Warm clothes and comfortable shoes are recommended;
- It is strongly advised to wear comfortable clothes, wind stopper and sporting shoes (tennis or trekking shoes) for all guests who want to reach the altidude of 2.5000 or 2.920 meters. It is possible to rent trekking shoes and wind stopper jackets at an altitude of 2.500 meters;
- The high-altitude ascents are not indicated for heart passengers, asthmatics and pregnant women;
- Please note that for your safety, all excursions to Etna do not reach the edge of the main craters and customers are always kept on a safety zone;
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems;
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers;
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
No penalities will be applied for cancellations received within 15:00 pm of the they before the excursion. For late cancellations, a penality of 50% of the booked tour will be applied.