Spend a day exploring the best of Palermo and the glories of Monreale with this combination day trip.
- Day trip to the Sicilian towns of Palermo and Monreale from Taormina;
- Enjoy a Palermo walking tour and learn about the city’s Arab-Norman architecture;
- Visit the Il Capo market and browse the colorful collection of food;
- Explore the town of Monreale and discover the grandeur of Monreale Cathedral.
Start your day trip by boarding your air-conditioned coach at your hotel or at a meeting point and then relax and admire the scenery on the 3-hours journey west across the island to Palermo, Sicily’s main town. Firt stop is Monreale, a lovely town on the slopes of Monte Caputo overlooking Palermo.
Monreale was named for the once numerous citrus orchards that dotted the fertile La Conca d’Oro valley below. Walk with your guide to Monreale Cathedral, considered one of the finest Norman constructions in the world, built as a royal complex in the 12th century. The exterior of the cathedral is rather unassuming, but step inside to be mesmerized by towering arches, glorious golden mosaics and famous artworks. Follow your cathedral tour with some free time to explore the town and enjoy views over the valley.
Hop on the coach for a quick drive to Palermo, situated in a wide Tyrrhenian bay at the foot of Monte Pellegrino.
Enjoy the visit at the Royal Palace (from outside), pause for photos outside of Palermo Cathedral, with its elegant Arabic arches and blue-gray dome. Enjoy a walking tour of Sicily’s capital, teeming with impressive art and ruins, Byzantine buildings and Baroque churches. Learn why there are so many Arab-Norman monuments scattered throughout the city, a legacy of both dynasties ruling in Palermo. You will also visit Piazza Pretoria, The Martorana Church (from outside), “I Quattro canti”, Via Maqueda, Politeama Theatre (from outside). Continue to Teatro Massimo (from outside), the opera house.
Light lunch with typical Sicilian food specialities (own expenses)
Reboard the coach at 15:30 and head back to Taormina. Your day trip finishes back at the start point.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in Taormina area;
- Transport by air-conditioned coach;
- Tour escort/host;
- Professional licensed guide in Palermo and Monreale.
- Gratuities (optional),
- Food and drinks,
- Entrance fee to Monreale Cathedral: € 4 p.p.
- Entrance fee to Monreale Cloister: € 6 p.p.
- Children from 0 to 2,9 years are free of charge
- Children from 3 to 11,9 have 50% discount
No penalities will be applied for cancellations received within 15:00 pm of the they before the excursion. For late cancellations, a penality of 50% of the booked tour will be applied.
You hotel in Taormina, Letojanni, Giardini Naxos, Sant’Alessio or Bus Terminal Recanati – Giardini Naxos
06:00 am from Bus Terminal of Recanati – for pick up from other meeting points, please see below
19:00 pm approximately
Returns to original departure point
1) The departure time of the excursion could be changed due to techincal reasons! We kindly ask you to contact our office at +39 327 059 4404 at least one day before the beginning of the tour to reconfirm the departure time and the meeting point.
2) Clients staying at the hotel in Taormina city center must reach the meeting point “Taormina cableway”. It is possible to book a extra transfer from the hotel to the meeting point and back at the cost of € 10 per person per way.
3) Clients staying at a hotel in the city of Sant Alessio Siculo and Marina d’Agro must pay a supplement for a transfer from the hotel to the meeting point “Letojanni”, € 5 one way