Located on the island of Sicily, Mt Etna is the tallest active volcano in Europe.
- Half day trip to Mount Etna from Taormina
- Travel to Etna’s base station at Rifugio Sapienza
- Pose for photos next to the stunning Silvestri craters
- Enjoy three hours at leisure to trek around the foothills of Mount Etna
- See the famous Monti Silvestri Craters near Rifugio Sapienza
Start your day trip by boarding your air-conditioned coach at your hotel or at a meeting point and then relax on the 1-hour journey inland to Mount Etna, the island’s brooding – and spectacular – nemesis. The Mt. Etna is the higest peak of Sicily and the most active volcano in Europe. The territory surrounding the vulcan constitutes the “Park of Etna”, one of the largest protected areas in Italy: You will be astonished about the great variety of vegetation and landscapes that we will meet along the way before arriving at the “ Silvesti Craters” (about 1.900 mt).
Hop out of your coach at the base station Rifugio Sapienza, and then enjoy roughly three hours at leisure to trek independently around the foothills of Mount Etna. The area is covered with hiking trails that zigzag in all directions, and your host will happily point you in the right direction for the Monti Silvestri Craters – two small, yet impressive, craters near the base station.
Optional activity: CABLEWAY TO 2.500 METERS € 30
On request and at extra cost, there is the possibility to get to a height of 8,202 feet (2,500 meters) by cableway in just 15 minutes. Once you reach this altitude, you can spend all the time you want admiring the wonderful views and panorama along the coast! At the top of the mountain you will find a refreshment point and a souvenir shop. At the end of your walk, return to the base station via cable car to meet the rest of your group.
Optional activity: ETNA SUMMIT € 67
On request and at extra cost, instead of spending three hours at leisure to trek independently around the foothills of Mount Etna, there is the possibility to get Mount Etna’s summit with cableway, jeep and alpine guide. Ride by cable car to a height of 8,202 feet (2,500 meters), and then travel the remaining distance by 4×4 jeep, stopping at a dizzying 9,843 feet (3,000 meters). Follow your alpine guide (*) carefully around the craters at Mount Etna’s summit, peering intohornitos (small openings that release lava), and learning about volcanic activity in Sicily.
Your ascent begins to discover the crater of the 2001 eruption, surrounded by an almost lunar landscape. This was one of the strongest eruptions of the third millennium with activity felt as far as the island of Stromboli!
You will continue on to the Belvedere del Valle del Bove, the most beautiful panoramic point on Mt. Etna at about 2750 meters. You will be amazed by the beauty of this large volcanic depression dating back 64,000 years! Here you will stop to admire the landscape, take some photos or simply enjoy the breathtaking views from which you can see Taormina, Calabria and even Syracuse. From there you also have a privileged view of the Summit Craters, where you can see the endless column of gas and water vapor.
You will then visit a crater depression called Cisternazza and finally return to an altitude of 2500 meters to take the cable car and return to the Sapienza refuge with your guide.
At the end of your walk, return to the base station via jeep and cable car to meet the rest of your group. Hop on your coach and return to Taormina. Your day trip finishes at the start point.
(*) Alpine guides speak Italian and English
- Hotel pickup and drop-off,
- Transport by air-conditioned coach,
- Tour escort/host
- Gratuities (optional),
- Food and drinks,
- Ride by cable way to 2.500 meters (€ 30)
- Mount Etna’s summit with cableway, jeep and alpine guide to 2.920 meters (€ 67)
- Equipment (it is possible to rent it at the Rifugio Sapienza).
- Children from 0 to 2,9 years are free of charge
- Children from 3 to 11,9 have 50% discount
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair,
- Warm clothes and comfortable shoes are recommended;
- It is strongly advised to wear comfortable clothes, wind stopper and sporting shoes (tennis or trekking shoes) for all guests who want to reach the altidude of 2.5000 or 2.920 meters. It is possible to rent trekking shoes and wind stopper jackets at an altitude of 2.500 meters;
- The high-altitude ascents are not indicated for heart passengers, asthmatics and pregnant women;
- Please note that for your safety, all excursions to Etna do not reach the edge of the main craters and customers are always kept on a safety zone;
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems;
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers;
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
No penalities will be applied for cancellations received within 15:00 pm of the they before the excursion. For late cancellations, a penality of 50% of the booked tour will be applied.
You hotel in Taormina, Letojanni, Giardini Naxos, Sant’Alessio or Bus Terminal Recanati – Giardini Naxos
07:30 am from Bus Terminal of Recanati – for pick up from other meeting points, please see below
15:00 pm approximately
Returns to original departure point
1) The departure time of the excursion could be changed due to techincal reasons! We kindly ask you to contact our office at +39 327 059 4404 at least one day before the beginning of the tour to reconfirm the departure time and the meeting point.
2) Clients staying at the hotel in Taormina city center must reach the meeting point “Taormina cableway”. It is possible to book a extra transfer from the hotel to the meeting point and back at the cost of € 10 per person per way.
3) Clients staying at a hotel in the city of Sant Alessio Siculo and Marina d’Agro must pay a supplement for a transfer from the hotel to the meeting point “Antares”, € 5 one way