Spend a day exploring the best of Catania and the wonders of Syracuse with this combination day trip – both cities have a world of offering for travelers.
- Day trip from Taormina to Catania and Syracuse
- Stroll Around Catania city center to discover the surprises created with the full intention of the baroque architects.
- Discover the delights of Catania UNESCO-listed historical center, and pose for photos next to the comical-looking Fountain of the Elephant in Piazza Duomo and admire the amazing and picturesque fish market.
Explore Parco Archeologico della Neapolis, Syracuse’s archeological zone (entry own expense)
- Pose for photos in front of the Ear of Dionysius and learn about ancient Syracuse from a guide
- Visit the island neighborhood of Ortygia and discover sights like Syracuse Duomo
Start your day trip by boarding your air-conditioned coach at your hotel or at a metting point and then relax on the 1-hour journey to Catania, From Piazza Alcalá you will start a walking tour through the streets into Catania’s UNESCO-listed centro storico (historical center). Walk along to Piazza Duomo in the very heart of the city and marvel at its Baroque palazzi exploring the grandiose monuments that are scattered around. Pose for photos in front of the Fountain of the Elephant, carved in Catania’s trademark black volcanic stone, and see the imposing City Hall. Work your way along Via Etnea, the bustling main street named after the town’s nemesis – the brooding Mount Etna – and visit Piazza Stesicoro to see the remains of the wealthy Roman town that Catania once was. Admire the ruins of the Roman amphitheater – a site that once held crowds of 16,000 – and see the monument to Vincenzo Bellini – the famous opera composer from Catania. Continue down Via Etnea and cross into Villa Bellini, the public park. Start to work your way back to the start point, passing along Via Crociferi, a film location for many Italian films. Before hopping on the bus, visit of the the open-air fish market, famous for its particular colours.
In the late morning we drive to Syracuse where we have a break for lunch (not included) before starting to visit Parco Archeologico della Neapolis, Syracuse’s famous archeological zone that’s home to a vast collection of Greek and Roman ruins from all over Sicily. Head inside to see impressive excavations and well-preserved monuments like a Greek theater, Roman amphitheater and the Ear of Dionysius – an artificial limestone cave. Learn about fascinating structures like the Altar of Hieron II, where bulls were once sacrificed during ancient festivals, and hear tales of Syracuse in bygone days. Leave the archeological zone and head over to the island neighborhood Ortygia, where most of Syracuse’s fascinating sights can be seen. Explore the local attractions, discovering Piazza Archimede, a lively square that’s home to the Fountain of Aretusa – a carving of the Greek goddess’ maiden. Gaze at the square’s Gothic palaces and then continue your stroll around the area to discover the delights of Piazza del Duomo – Syracuse’s central square. Pose for photos in front of Syracuse Cathedral, and admire at the squares other attractions: 17th-century Archbishop’s Palace, the Palace of Beneventano del Bosco and Il Lucertolone – the City Hall. After exploring Ortygia and learning about the city’s history and sights, return to your coach for the journey north. Your tour then finishes back at the start point.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off,
- Transport by air-conditioned coach,
- Tour escort/host
- Gratuities (optional),
- Food and drinks,
- Entrance fee to Syracuse Cathedral (approx. 2 eur),
- Entrance fee to Parco Archeologico della Neapolis (approx 10 eur)
- Children from 0 to 2,9 years are free of charge
- Children from 3 to 11,9 have 50% discount
No penalities will be applied for cancellations received within 15:00 pm of the they before the excursion. For late cancellations, a penality of 50% of the booked tour will be applied.
You hotel in Taormina, Letojanni, Giardini Naxos, Sant’Alessio or Bus Terminal Recanati – Giardini Naxos
07:30 am from Bus Terminal of Recanati – for pick up from other meeting points, please see below
19:00 pm approximately
Returns to original departure point
1) The departure time of the excursion could be changed due to techincal reasons! We kindly ask you to contact our office at +39 327 059 4404 at least one day before the beginning of the tour to reconfirm the departure time and the meeting point.
2) Clients staying at the hotel in Taormina city center must reach the meeting point “Taormina cableway”. It is possible to book a extra transfer from the hotel to the meeting point and back at the cost of € 10 per person per way.
3) Clients staying at a hotel in the city of Sant Alessio Siculo and Marina d’Agro must pay a supplement for a transfer from the hotel to the meeting point “Letojanni”, € 5 one way